Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BIRCH SPIRIT woodblock print



To see more photos of making this print, click on BIRCH SPIRIT Photo-Log link in the right hand column.

Moku hanga Japanese method.
Print title: "Birch Spirit".
Paper size: 6.5" x 15";
Blocks: Birch plywood.
Paper: Japanese handmade Washi- Masa Dosa.
Inks: Black - neri zumi
and Guerra pigment dispersion.
Fine mica powder mixed into inks.
Hand-rubbed with Murasaki baren.

Tanka poem handwritten on print:

Lady of the woods
a beacon to the stream
this white birch tree--
her parchment bark poems
float into opal twilight.

Bette Norcross Wappner (b'oki)

4 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Very beautiful!

Laura Orabone said...

I really love this one, Bette. Definitely one of your best!

Anonymous said...

what a cool thing to do with your poetry! Is woodblock printing difficult to learn? I would love to do something like this.

amy

Bette Norcross Wappner -- said...

Thank you Rosemary, Laura, and Stirringthejam!

sorry it took me this long to reply. I don't think I made my settings to be notified when someone commented. But I think I have it fixed now.

For Amy at "Stirringthejam" -- I don't think woodblock printing is difficult to learn it just takes practice. You really should try it even when the kids are home for the summer you should still do your art. My first book was "Simple Printmaking" by Gwen Diehn. Also check out the encyclopedias and forum at http://barenforum.org! Good luck and feel free to ask me more questions :)

Bette.