Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Snow Skier blocks ready to print



Moku hanga printmaking method. The left block will serve as the background color w/mica powder and also as the block for hand embossing (kimedashi) the skier's trail and the enso sun. I left enough surface for my thumb to emboss the sun.

I only left 1/4" border between the image area and the paper trim. Makes for tricky printing but oh well. I don't like trimming after printing.

Bought this U-gouge a couple years ago at Woodcraft store when they were having a sale. It works great for clearing and keeps a sharp edge.

The area between the left ski post and skies is suppose to be a shadow. If it doesn't look like a shadow on the print, I will eliminate it.

5 comments:

Jeff Dean said...

I love that wood. What kind is it?

Bette Norcross Wappner -- said...

Hi Jeff -- The block is a crafter's plaque bought at Hobby Lobby or Michaels for $3.00. I think its pine. I'm really amazed at how its holding up to detail. Hopefully it will do well in the printing process. If so, I'll be glad because its readily available plank wood and comes sanded. I plan on printing it today and will make a post about the progress and results. But I do want to say that cherry plank is still my ultimate favorite.

Lynn said...

Betty,
I'm blown away by your work!! Can't wait to try out this pine plank material. I love the way it makes the woodblock look like a work of art in itself!
Lynn Starun

Bette Norcross Wappner -- said...

Hi Lynn,
Glad you're enjoying the work. I thought the routed edges on these crafter's plaques were cool and different. I suppose if someone wanted to sell their blocks for collectors to frame or something, that it gives a neat look. But we'll see how this pine block holds up in the printing process before I give it any sort of recommendations to use.
Bette.

Anonymous said...

Looking great - really looking forward to seeing the finished print :)